Saturday, January 15, 2011

Goals and A Couple of Finishes

Thank you, Diane, for putting this blog together. I look forward to sharing my progress, frustrations and triumphs, and offering encouragement and congratulations to fellow stitchers that, like me, would rather stitch than finish.

I set a goal for myself of finishing two of my finishes, one framed and one "other" type of finish, each month. I have quite a number of finishes, exact number unknown at this time. Here's a pic of the tote where I store my finishes while they are awaiting final finishing.


I guess, in the next few weeks, I'll need to inventory said projects and plan a bit for what I want to finish this year.

Yeah, the tote is pretty full!

Last weekend, I pulled out two stitched Blackbird Designs, dug through my stash to find backing material, trims, buttons and charms and after a few hours, I had the following results: 

'Small Token"
Reward of Merit Pincushion from Blackbird Designs
Stitched using Vintage (?) 32 count linen and recommended overdyed floss. Finished using the fabic in the background as the backing and lace trim from my stash. 

"Bluebird"
Reward of Merit Pincushion from Blackbird Designs
Stitched using recommended linen and overdyed floss. Finished using the fabic in the background as the backing and buttons and charms from my stash. (May add the tan rick-rack as an edging. )

It feels good to have a couple of new finished finishes. For my next finish, I'm going to finally paint the frame  that I made for my BoaF Sally Spencer Sampler. Then I need to cut a piece of form core and lace the sampler to it so it is ready to pop in the frame after the paint and finish coat are dry. By next weekend, I could have a new framed sampler! Wish me luck.

I'm so glad to be here. I'm looking forward to see how everyone is going to pick the projects to finish and the techniques that they use.

Happy finishing!
Robin (Samplerbird)
http://stitchesandcatsohmy.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful finishes, Robin!

I see a lot of gorgeous stitched pieces in that tote! Won't it feel great to have them on display?

You mentioned "making" a frame for your Sarah Spence. If you'd be willing, I'd love to see a tutorial for a complete do-it-yourself frame. Custom frames are sooooooo expensive, but I think I could handle a miter box and moulding with a bit of guidance.