Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Two down and....still 90 to go ~ and a request

I'm pretending that if you say that part about how many to go really fast it doesn't sound so bad.  :o)  I found two more old stitches, so even though I've managed to frame one from the list and ornament-ify another, I'm holding at 90. 

Golden Poppies was framed this weekend and is hanging on the wall!(!!!)  This was a UFO for more years than I should admit.  Suffice it to say, I started it right around the time the magazine it was published in was released (Cross Stitch and Country Crafts M/A 1986) and it languished, roughly half-stitched, in a box for over 20 years until I picked it up last spring and finished the stitching.  I couldn't find any counting errors, so I have no idea why I put it down in the first place.  When the stitching was finished it was relegated to the pile, even though I had already purchased the frame. I was too lazy to cut the mat/mounting board and do the lacing - which took all of about 45 minutes, when it came right down to it.  Most of that 45 minutes was just fussing at it trying to get it perfectly straight and smooth over a layer of batting when lacing (although failing, it's close enough for government work).  There's really no good excuse for any part of why this took so long.  Enough build up, here's the pic:

Golden Poppies
Cross Stitch & Country Crafts magazine, March/April 1986 issue
Stitched on 14 ct. fiddler's weave aida
DMC colors as charted, backstitching and initial omitted by choice
Ribba frame from Ikea
 Both of my kids actually noticed (!) and commented on how much they like this hanging on the wall.  :o)


My second finish was stitched in 2009 and I had already laced the front and glued up the back before it went to the pile.  Once again, I don't know why I did that.  Whip-stitching it together took no time at all, and the ribbon was in my stash.  It didn't take long to finish up, either, once I set my mind to it. The hardest part was waiting for the glue to dry!  Judging by the green carpet here at work, this is going to look great hanging on the tree next Christmas:
Christmas Joy
Angel Stitchin'
Published in 2003 Just Cross Stitch ornament issue
Stitched on 32 ct. Cafe Mocha linen
Unknown overdyed threads from stash

Backing fabric from stash
Edged with feather-edged burgundy ribbon by Offray
Bow and hanger in same color 6 mm single-sided satin ribbon
I doubt I'll be able to make any more progress on the POSSIBIL(I)TIES this month.  My kids and I are going on a cruise the last week of the month and there's much preparation and packing that needs to be done before we go. Getting all remaining traces of Christmas packed away and out of sight and getting the house straightened up so I won't be dreading coming home to a mess will be highest priority during non-work hours for the next 11 days.  I don't expect to get much stitching done either, except what can be fit into my lunch hours - after I eat, of course! 

I'll be checking in here as often as posssible and sending out invitations as I receive requests until we leave.  I don't know if we'll have internet access on the trip.  Here is my request: If anyone would be interested in having administration privileges to keep things running smoothly in my absence and just as a general back up, please let me know.  I've seen a lot of groups fail because there was only one administrator and they disappeared without explanation.

Thank you!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

It's a good start, Diane!

I could help if you want -- though I've never done it before. Also, I'm not online over the weekend. Let me know.

Have a great vacation!

Rita E in AZ said...

I love your poppies! Oh dear, is that chart really from that far back (I think I may have started that, too, oh so very long ago)